Re: Re: 2002 AGA Convention <-- Test Kits / Observation?

Don't mean to say that the concept is 'wrong' or anything, especially
since I have not heard the specifics of your presentation... But I would
have thought that the *better* way of doing things would be maintenance
using both test kits and observation - since deficiencies don't usually
show up for a small amount of time (when in sensitive plants it can be
too late, or at least difficult to rehabilitate). By picking up on the
important levels (and deficiencies in those levels) early, it may be
more efficient to prevent losses or damage or growth deficiencies before
they occur. Kind of like checking the oil, water and fuel in your car
before it actually breaks down.

Not saying the method is wrong (like I said, haven't been to your
presentation), but using both test kits and plant observation I would
have thought would be the most logical method rather than one or the
other...

For example, test kits may (and often do) have the tendency to give the
'all clear' on some things, yet the leaves and growth of the plant, or
algal growth may still be problematic - leading to the fact there may be
something else wrong. However, test kits may be saying that something is
horribly wrong yet the plants do not show it up. The test kits may be a
good indication early however that there *may* be problems and to keep
an eye on things.

That's just my two cents...

Cheers,

Adam Shaw

>Date: Sat, 28 Sep 2002 03:09:47 -0600
>From: Chuck Gadd <cgadd at cfxc_com>
>Subject: Re: 2002 AGA Convention
>
>Erik wrote:

>> Two other speakers are Chuck Gadd and me.  I'm still not exactly sure
what Chuck's going to talk on, but I'll be presenting a kind of tale of
how >>I

>My presentation is on my planted tank technique, based on the idea
>of maintaining the tank not by reading test kits, but by watching the
>tank, and making decisions based on the plant and algae growth.
>
>I expect the presentation will be VERY open, and I will be trying to
get >the audience's input on what they have seen in their tanks, since
almost >every plant, and almost every tank responds differently to
deficiencies and >excesses.