Re: Repti glo

>Daniel, WHICH Repti glo tube did you use?

5.0 (40 watt) bulb, as I said.

>How do you know that anthocyanin was what was responsible for the color
change?

I don't, and frankly I don't care that much. But I can switch the redness in
my plants on and off with the UV-A-&-B-bulb, and even if it's not
scientifically significant I can surely enjoy the results. Anthocyanin,
xanthophyll, nerdiphyll, yodanin .. whatever works.

>Did you have any other tubes over the tank where this color change
occurred?

3 Sylvania GroLux (36 watts) and 2 Osram Biolux (36 watts) and the Reptiglo.
*coverglass removed*
Light duration 10 hours.
I measured the nutrient-levels (Fe) all week when I had the Reptiglo and it
went down amazingly fast (probably because UV oxidize nutrients). When
I removed the Reptiglo and replaced it with a Grolux the levels the
following
week became normal - and the new shoots became green again, and very
slowly the black-redness went away (as with us humans).
I also tried the Reptiglo with cover glass - it didn't work. Glass filter
light
under 320 nm as stated here:
http://194.236.255.117/lkpakvarie/defdac/articles/Case_Study_Effect_of_UV-B_
on_Rice.html
There you can also read about anthocyanin and UV-B.

Tom Barr wrote:
>You can look yourself if you have some knowledge of plant anatomy and
microscope.
Cool. I will when I can get my old microscope from my parents. I don't have
the knowledge, but I can google ;)

>Not all red color in plants is from anthocyanin.
Certainly not. I now use a Philips Aquarelle and it manages to induce a
quite
different red in my L. arcuata. Nicer and more natural color.