Re: Red plants

Hey gang,

Richard Sexton wrote:
>>(Assuming sufficient iron) Blue light makes red
leaves, (IIRC).<<

I'm not so sure about that. I am sure that iron has
little or nothing to do with red pigments in plants.

Red pigment or Anthocyanin is produced as a response
to UV-B, by a complex enzymatic process. Simply put,
the sun, or other light that produces UV-B, causes
this process and not the prescence of a metal. There
is no iron, or any other metal in anthocyanin.
(Source: Mark Fisher)

There has been talk about limiting NO3 and jackin' up
PO4 to bring out reds, but *I think* that has more to
do with NO3-chlorophyll relationship making more
green. In other words, there isn't less red just more
green in the prescence of elevated NO3. (a little
specualtion on my part;)

John Wheeler