Compact Flourescent Bulb and Ballast Life?

It's lights out in my neck of the woods...

One of the ballasts in one of my compact flourescent fixtures has
gone out. The fixture is 13 months old. Am I being reasonable to
assume that ballasts should last at least twice that long before
failing?

I'm very curious about the average life of the ballasts. I had both
bulbs in one jbj fixture fail, along with the ballast and all four
bulbs in another fixture failed too (I'm wondering about the ballasts
in that one now). I have to admit that when I add up the cost of the
bulbs, ballast and wonder when the next ballast will fail, I'm not so
sure the yearly cost of this particular brand is worth it. At this
point I'm thinking that it might be smarter to invest in another
brand fixture rather than replace bulbs and ballasts.

Can anyone comment on ballasts and/or your experience with JBJ
lights? I've tried to contact JBJ about various problems with my
lights several times lately and they don't seem to answer email
anymore.

I understand and expect bulb failure, but while I'm asking here I
also wonder how long bulbs should last (?). Very frustrating.

These lights see average use and are on about 10 hours a day. I added
it up the other day and that amounts to about 3900 hours of bulb
life. Are the bulb life ratings all smoke and mirrors anyway?

Thanks in advance.

JoAnn