Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V5 #311

Hey gang,>

Alex R wrote:
> Date: Sat, 31 Aug 2002 02:51:43 -0500
> From: "Alex R" <pcalex at hotpop_com>
> Subject: C. japonica and KCl update
>
> Several months ago, I inquired about the effect of
> potassium chloride on C. japonica shrimp as a
possible cause of their deaths. I was dosing potassium
> chloride and every shrimp that I added before died
> in less than a week. I had a couple of e-mail
discussions with people that had clear evidence that
> KCl kills the shrimp and with people that said it
> couldn't possibly be harmful.

You know, Alex, et al, I have said this before and was
corrected by people who I believe are more educated
than I in this arena, but the evidence is strong for
our case. Let me ask another question to Alex and
others who have been experiencing this.

Did you use an agro grade KCl off the shelf of a
hardware store or home center. That's what I used,
specifically Espoma brand. Once again I have not had
problems with shrimp death since switching to K2SO4. I
wonder if there is some toxin or metal in that mix
that could cause problems.

John Wheeler