Eheim runs dry

I've had my Eheim Professional 2222 for about 8 months
or so.  I have run the co2 line into the inlet
strainer and used it as a co2 reactor, which has
worked well.  A couple days ago I did a long overdue
cleaning.  Since then it has airlocked (I think)
several times and run dry.  Why now?  Why could it
have run so well like this for so long and now keep
stalling out?  I have enough to deal with now (grey
slime from hell) without this.  Any help would be much
appreciated.  I have heard about other people doing
this without a problem.

Thanks, Cavan