Re: starving otocinclus

Erin,
Are you monitoring the tank's water quality parameters since you changed the
substrate? If so, are there any significant changes from what it was
previously? I'm thinking that a big change in pH, hardness, or
ammonia/nitrite might stress him into not eating. I'm assuming the
temperature is O.K. Is it possible he is being bullied by other fish?

Oto's usually subsist on a combination of algae and biofilm although they
can eat other things as well. You mention feeding zucchini. I think the
zucchini is a good food but too hard for them to eat unless steamed or
boiled for about ten minutes. Some things I would try:
   -set up a small tank or bowl filled with tank water in a bright sunny
window, or outside, to promote algae growth on the walls of this container.
This may take a while but it will provide your Otocinclus with optimal food.
   -get some algae, the soft green kind he probably likes, from another
aquarist or an aquarium shop/fish dealer and rubber-band a small amount of
it to a small rock so it doesn't float around.

One last question: Is he the only one you've got? Oto's seem to be somewhat
gregarious and prefer to be in a group of at least three or four. Hope he
makes it. One of my favorite fish.

Eric