Re: Probably impossible but....

"Anyway to get a fluorescent lamp to produce the sparkling water that a
"point of light" source creates?"

Even if you did, there is another issue at work here that makes it probably
not worthwhile. To get the 'sparkling' effect, the surface of the water has
to be rippling more than you would want it to, if preserving CO2 is a goal.
I've had a metal halide on a planted tank, and by the time I had the surface
movement dampened down to where it didn't affect the CO2 loss, the sparkles
were pretty much gone. If you have enough surface ripples to get the effect,
you might try adding a small halogen lamp to the hood, maybe with a switch
so you could turn it on only when you are showing off.

TW