Re: CO2 regulator problem

Hi Shireen,

You wrote: >Sorry for the naive questions. I'm somewhat
technically-challenged.  :-)

Well, I can tell you that if it weren't for questions, the APD wouldn't
exist, or maybe it would be just a short list of disjointed  statements, so
please ask them. On to your CO2 regulator problems.

The length of line shouldn't make a difference in the performance of a
needle valve. From what you mentioned, and from your previous posts on this
subject, I am suspecting that debris or dirt or water or something has
gotten into the system and is causing problems. Here are a few guidelines to
help prevent line contamination by foreign matter:
  1.) Always "crack" the valve on a gas cylinder before attaching the
regulator. This brief blast of gas blows out any dust or dirt that may be in
the tank valve.
  2.) I am very skeptical of check valves to prevent water from entering the
expensive CO2 equipment and any good ones that I think might be worth using
are rather expensive. A positive way to prevent water from entering your CO2
equipment is to keep the regulator/valve assembly above the level of the
tank water. I admit this can be difficult or looks weird. In fact, it may be
dangerous if you don't secure the cylinder against falling over but I
guarantee you won't get water in your CO2 system where it should'nt be.
  3.) If you are using teflon tape to seal the joints be very meticulous
about how this is applied. The tape should be trimmed with scissors to a
width that will allow the first thread to be bare. Often it can be peeled or
split lengthwise into narrower widths. Keep the tape well away from the end
of the fitting and wrap it exactly twice. Use the scissors to trim the
length. Wrap it clockwise around the male fitting to prevent it from
binding, or trying to unravel, when you screw the pieces together. If you
make a mistake, or unscrew a connection made with this tape, you must
thoroughly clean any and all remains of the teflon tape from both male and
female fittings before they can be re-joined. This last point is very
important. I clean and inspect the threads of each piece with a dental pick
under good lighting. It is amazing how a small fiber of this stuff (or
anything else) will clog your system.

I hope this helps. And, if anyone else reading this knows of a good check
valve please let me know as I prefer to keep the gas cylinder and CO2 setup
under my display tanks; which means they are potentially subject to water
contamination.

Eric