Re: fuzz algae

It was actually Oedogonium that drove me to develop the bleach
method.  My plants got absolutely smothered with it.  I had lived
unhappily for years with Cladophora, but the Oedogonium was the last
straw.  Cladophora is the toughest of all the "hair" algae, (I define
hair algae as the tough ones that snails can't eat as opposed to the
soft ones that they can.)  Cladophora needs a full four minutes in 5%
liquid bleach to kill all of it on a plant.  This is a long enough
time to do serious damage to thin-stemmed plants, but, fortunately,
thin-stemmed plants are usually free of Cladophora if you pick the
newest growth.  Cladophora, fortunately, does not spread everywhere
by means of flagellated zoospores the way Oedogonium does.  It tends
to attach to the old parts of plants, especially old, thick stems.
Plants like crypts, swords, etc, that have long-lasting rhizomes will
get attached Cladophora.  It works out that the plants that tend to
have Cladophora attached are the ones that can withstand 4 minutes of
the 5% bleach.  I can't see how the treatment could have killed
Barclaya, because that species has a very thick and resistant
rhizome.  Java fern stem also ought to be thick enough to withstand 4
minutes.

It is important to put the treated plants in a well lit, open
situation with CO2 additions, if possible, to give them the best
chances of recovery.
--
Paul Krombholz in well-watered central Mississippi, with another
afternoon thundershower today.