Re: Cheap Substrate

Michael Gerhardt said:

> Where can I get a cheap substrate for planted tanks?
> Flourite is crazy expensive.  There has to be a cheaper way.  I have
> seen
> pond stores pot their plants in something that looks like baseball
> field
> dirt.  Would this work in an aquarium?
> Anybody?

The answer is, it depends on what it is.  Look into the archives, 15
minutes of research will net you a ton of info on varoius materials
that can be, and have been used for planted aquaria, including potting
soil extenders, sands, baseball infield clay (Turface), Flourite, and
various combinations of these and other things.

Also check out TheKrib.com and George and Karla Booth's Aquatic
Concepts site ( http://www.frii.com/~gbooth/AquaticConcepts/ ).  you
will do yourself a disservice if you don't check out these sites before
you set up your tanks.

Good Luck,
Scott H.