Re: Pinpoint PH Monitor

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 7 Aug 2002 09:13:21 -0700 (PDT)
From: Cavan <millsman7 at yahoo_com>
Subject: Pinpoint PH Monitor

For convienience and accuracy, I'm thinking of getting
a Pinpoint PH Monitor.  I have a few questions though.
I looked through the archives and the net a bit,
which only gave me more.  They are:

- - I read something about the AC adapter kit making the
unit less acurate.  True?

I have a pinpoint with the adapter and have not found this to be the case.

- - Do you have to figure in temperature into the
readings?

Not that I am aware of. The operating instructions don't mention this
anywhere.

- - How often do you have to calibrate?

Depends. Each tank is different. The instructions recommend once a month I
think, but I have found once every 2-3 months adequate for my purposes.

- - How often must the electrode be replaced?

I think I get about 1 1/2 to 2 years out of one.  You know it needs replaced
when the monitor doesn't hold a calibration and you get high, low or
constantly fluctuating values.

I buy the low price Broadley-James eletrode from Pet Warehouse (Drs. S & F).
It looks and acts just like the Pinpoint elecrode that comes with the
monitor. It very well may be. Only $34.99 vs $49.99 for the "Pinpoint"
electrode.

Another suggestion: I used the Pinpoint monitor a couple years ago. I believe
they cost about $90 or so. I switched to Milwaukee Instruments model SMS 122
when I started keeping planted tanks. It is a monitor and also a controller,
and only costs $10 more than the Pinpoint unit. Great if you want to automate
your CO2 addition. Can also be used as a monitor only. I have three of them
going now. No problems.

You can buy the Milwaukee controller unit for $99 from SpectraPure,
www.spectrapure.com. Comes with monitor, probe, controller unit, ac adapter,
calibration screwdriver (2 point calibration), and calibration solution.

Thanks, Cavan