[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Re: toxicity of trisodium phosphate....
- To: Aquatic-Plants at actwin_com
- Subject: Re: toxicity of trisodium phosphate....
- From: Paul Sears <psears at nrn1_NRCan.gc.ca>
- Date: Tue, 6 Aug 2002 11:24:54 -0400 (EDT)
- In-reply-to: <200208041948.g74Jm1k14212 at acme_actwin.com> from "Aquatic Plants Digest" at Aug 04, 2002 03:48:01 PM
> From: "Daphne Freeman" <daphne.freeman at charter_net>
> Subject: toxicity of tri-sodium phosphate and the planted aquarium
> I have a pair of incredible bonsai scissors that I used on my orchids many
> moons ago. To sanitize them, I would soak them in a Tri-sodium phosphate
> and water solution. It drives off the oxygen when saturated in water
I can't see how it would do that. It's prettty alkaline - the
pH of the solution will be something like 13, which may be how it does..
> allows you to sanitize cutting instruments.
> It is sold in the painting
> section at Home Depot but I have no idea what painters use it for. I no
> longer use it on my orchids and wondered if simply soaking it in water or
> wiping it down with alcohol and rinsing would make it safe to use in my
Just rinse with water. A tiny bit in the tank will cause no problems.
I use K2HPO4 all the time to supply phosphate, Na3PO4 will do the same, but
is too alkaline to use in significant amounts.
Paul Sears Ottawa, Canada