Surface Skimmers

I've had an Eheim Surface Suction Extracter for years but keep taking it
out of use because it's difficult to keep it operating effectively as
the water level changes due to evaporation in an open topped tank, and
because it also doesn't handle the flow rate of my Eheim 2222 all that
well. It has a tendency to end up dumping air into the filter which
interferes with the filter operation, plus it can be noisy.

I bought an AquaClear Surface Skimmer a couple of days ago. it's a
different design to the Eheim, seems to handle water level changes
better, and allows adjustment of the amount of surface skimming that
occurs so you can avoid it gulping air into the filter. Operation is
also quieter.

It's a bit tricky adjusting the skim rate, and it seems you don't want
too much surface water skimmed at all if you want it to work without the
air gulping and noise but it's not difficult once you get the trick of
it. I'm not certain, however, that it would handle filters with higher
flow rates than my 2222 which is the smallest of the Eheim professional
series. It seems to work best for me very close to the end of the
adjustment range which is one of the reasons adjustment is tricky -
you're working in a very narrow effective adjustment range with the flow
rate from my filter. The end result, however, is a pristine water
surface without the slight filming that has been annoying me, and very
much improved light penetration into the tank. The water, which was
always clear, looks even clearer and the whole presentation of the tank
looks much better. So far it's early days but I'm very impressed with
the device despite the limited adjustment range with my filter.

Does anyone know of any good surface skimmers that handle high flow
rates, operate silently, and don't pass air to a cannister filter?

David Aiken