Cyperus helferi

Folks,

A couple years ago (err, a little more than that) Tom Barr sent me some
Cyperus helferi from a strain that I think grows unusually tall -- the full
grown leaves are two feet long.  It's a slow-growing plant, which I think is
a trait that the tall strain has in common with the shorter strain.  I've
propogated it to five or six plants, but I've never overcome one problem.

The older leaves turn brown at the tips and slowly die back.  The process
starts about the same time that the leaves reach full growth.  As a result,
there's no such thing as a healthy-looking fully developed leaf.  Normally
that sort of problem is likely caused by a nitrogen shortage, but dosing lots
of nitrogen (water and substrate simultaneously) doesn't change the pattern.

Does this happen with all C. helferi, or is it just the tall strain? What do
people do to prevent the leaves from dying back?

Roger Miller