soil substrate OR gravel and laterite?

In a message dated 8/4/2002 12:57:34 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
> Rich, ... I experimented with that ... it produced a smelly, messy
> disgusting pool of glop.

I tried soil in a small tank.  The plants liked it, but it looked dirty after
I disturbed the initial setup, and the water stank more and more as the soil
organics rotted.  The resulting sulfur compound was a fish killer.  Maybe the
sewer effect was due to the bat guano and worm casings in the potting soil
though.  Anyway, I'm a Flourite guy now.
David Brown

multipart/alternative
  text/html
---