Re:More lights = Higher pH levels

Date: Mon, 22 Jul 2002 21:29:15 +0200
From: "Greger Lindstrand" <greglind at algonet_se>
Subject: More lights = Higher PH levels

Yesterday I doubled from 4 to 8 tubes of 36 W on my tank and the PH level
went from 6.84 to 7.19!

..............<snipped>....................

Well, I have not changed anything at all among the parameters of the tank.
Done nutting but adding more lights and removed the cover glas from the
tank top.
The PH went up! I wasn't expecting this and I am currently trying to figure
out what could be the cause of this.

The increased light results in an increased rate of photosynthesis.  In the
process of photosynthesis, CO2 is taken up.  Increased light means
increased CO2 uptake.  You will have to increase the rate of addition of
CO2 to get the pH back down to where you want it.  No doubt the removal of
the cover glass also increased the rate of loss of CO2.

Paul Krombholz in well-watered central Mississippi where I got two
thunderstorms today.