To: Aquatic-Plants at actwin_com
Subject: Visi-Jet Protein Skimmer as a CO2 reactor?
From: rjw at aluxs_att.com (Ronald Wozniak)
Date: Thu, 12 Sep 96 13:26:21 EDT

Has anyone tried the Visi-Jet Protein Skimmer as a CO2
reactor?

I was in a pet store the other day and looked at the
protein skimmer. It looks like with very little
modification, one can use it as decent CO2 reactor.
The unit come with a Visi-Jet power head with water
intake filter built into a ~2 inch diameter 10-12 inch
long tube.  The tube has a water exit out the bottom.
An airline tube (CO2?) can be attached to the top
venturi power head cap.  The top "collection
receptacle" can be replaced with a cap, since one
would want that in a CO2 reactor.

What I like about it is that the powerhead has a flow
control knob and a water flow rate meter.  From the
design, it looks like the power head would create a
lot of turbulence for good CO2 water mixing. Since I
haven't tried it yet, I don't if the water flow rate
can be adjusted low enough so that the CO2 bubbles
don't get blown out the bottom.  I suspect that it
will work, since in it intended application air
bubbles are ejected into the tube-skimmer.

The unit cost about $30 mail order, so I was hoping
someone else had tried before and knows whether it
will work.

<<<<<

What do you think? Could this work?

John Wheeler