Rotala Indica "Roots"

My Rotala Indica are growing like crazy.  When I got them they were green,
now thay are a beautiful brown-red.  I have planted them in bunches and they
recently started growing what appear to be roots off of the main stems.  The
problem is that these roots look terrible.  Is there a reason that they are
doing this?  Is there a way to stop it?  Or do I just have to understand
that this is the way it is and if I dont like it, need to get rid of them?
Is this brown-red coloration a good thing?  It sure adds nice contrast in
the aquarium.

Thanx in advance!

Michael