Re: Light Requirements - Historical

Hi,

In the 1948 edition of "Exotic Aquarium Fishes",  Wm. T. Innes suggested that
a 10 gallon tank get 40 watts of incandescent light for 8 hours or 75 watts
for 4 hours.  A 25 to 50 gallon tank needed 75 watts for 8 to 10 hours.

He also was greatly in favor of using natural sunlight to the fullest extent
possible.

We have moved well beyond that now, but it seems to me that those of my
low-tech tanks that receive natural sunlight do better than those that get 2
WPG of high quality fluorescent.

Bill