updates on blue-green cyanobacteria

hi all,
first of all i would like to present my appologies to those of you who
answered my post about the blue/green algeas for not having kept them
updated about the way things went in the tank. I am now 2 weeks from
defending my Masters of Oceanography and was quite busy ! I am behind in my
e-mail (160 post from the list that i have to read!).

So, although i am not favorable to the use of chemicals to treat problems in
my tanks, but more prone to look for what the origin of the problem is, i
did follow the advise of using "Myacin" to clear up the blue/green
cyanobacteria. 4 days after treatment they were gone with no visible damage
to anything else. I have been careful about the nitrite as the product kills
the bacteria in the filter too.
plants strated to grow again especially my java moss that was covered by
the"algea".
the problem started after i left my tank to the care of a friend for 15
days: filters were clogged, lots of water missing, no water changes, a.s.o.
so you were right about the reason why all that started (temperature
increase was not the issue here), and yes i use flourite as substrate
(someone noticed that this problem occures more often with tank set with
flourite).

Now i have another problem: since 3 weeks, plants are loosing leaves big
time. the leaves start getting translucent and die.
all my sagittaria are gone, my nomaphila is loosing lots of leaves.
my guess is:
1) not enough nutrients
2) increase of water temp (we have a heat wave)
3) i found a couple of red worms in the sand. they probably come from the
blackworm i feed my fish with from time to time, although they were not
looking like black worm. they were longer and red, more flat.

what do you think?
In case i need to feed the plants (which i never did: shame on me!) what
product do you suggest for an already set tank?

thank you very much for your inputs.
that's a great list you have here.
take care

Yvan Alleau
712 NW Kings Blvd
Corvallis, OR 97330
College of Oceanic and Atmospheric Sciences
Oregon State University
office (Burt 222): 737-3649, to be used wisely!
home: 738-0606

PLEASE NOTE NEW E-MAIL ADDRESS:
yalleau at coas_oregonstate.edu

"When you're far from everything, you're getting closer to the essential"