Re: lotus? zenkeri? maculata?

>>I'm a bit confused on which of these is the correct
species name for the common red or green lotus we see
in the hobby.  I've been awarding certificates for our
AHAP program as zenkeri, but I'm just not sure that's
correct.  How can you find out this sort of thing?  <<

Lotus is not a correct name, just a street name. Zenkeri and Maculata are
both species of Nymphaea and are both sold as Red Tiger Lotus. Nymphaea also
includes all of the "hardy" or perennial pond lilies, and the tropical pond
lilies. The actual plant "Lotus" is an entirely different genus, and a very
large pond lily lilke plant.

Robert Paul Hudson
http://www.aquabotanic.com
Cryp Lovers Forum hosted by Art Giacosa