Re: Three lighting questions

Few things I forgot to mention: (my original post was long
enough already!)

Overdriving is only possible (in my experience) with _electronic_
ballasts.  Combining the circuits on a magnetic ballast will most
likely lead to disastrous results.

Similarly, shorting the end-caps is only necessary when using
instant start ballasts ... Rapid start / preheat ballasts use
the two pins separately to give the bulb a softer start by warming
the filaments before turning on the real power.

On that same note... instant start can shorten the already short
life of a plant/aquarium T12 bulb because the T12 wasn't designed
for the higher voltage (and/or current) ... a way to minimize the
damage is to ensure your bulbs stay cool or luke-warm to the
touch (use a fan or two ... your fish will appreciate it), and
avoid cycling the power more than once per day ... each time you
light-up the bulb, it takes a day or two off its life.

ttyl

Gordon