P!

As most of you know I have been really struggling with my 72 gallon tank -
all kinds of algae, from green dust to BGA to some icky brown stuff growing
on all the fine-needled plants.

I did a 4 or 5 day blackout about a week and a half ago, and afterwards
upped the amount of phosphorus I am dosing in the tank - pretty much doubled
it. The ugly brown algae has gone away and has not come back, the BGA seems
to also be in retreat, and the green dust algae while not conquered also
does not turn the glass opaque 3 days after a water change.

I have also upped the amount of nitrogen going into the tank, but I have
tried that before without these kinds of results. I really think it is the P
which has turned the tide.

Now I am going to start adding Fe again in the hopes that it will darken the
grren color of the plants.

-Rachel
Still waiting for more input on what to do with the tank while we're gone.