[no subject]

Date: Fri, 05 Jul 2002 14:49:43 -0700
From: "Rachel Sandage" <rachelsor at hotmail_com>
Subject: Vacation

Rachel,

I vote for your option of having a neighbor come over
and dose occasionally.  We just returned from a 10-day
trip and hired a neighbor girl to feed the fish once
daily and dose fertilizers and top off tank several
times while we were gone.  She inadvertently forgot to
turn one of the strip lights back on after feeding, so
the tank received less light.  The result was a
sparkling, algae-free tank when we returned. I left
the lights and CO2 alone, but cleaned out the canister
filter and changed pads.  If you don't run CO2, then
you risk a pH spike that could be hard on your
critters. With any light, your plants will resort to
obtaining available carbon from your water's hardness.

Hope this is helpful.  I never enjoy leaving my tank
for long periods of time.
Regards,
Julie