Blyxa aubertii divides, stalls

I had a Blyxa aubertii in my 30 that was HUGE.  It
flowered and produced seeds all the time but never
divided.  Then it finally split up into a bunch of
smaller plants that aren't doing much of anything.
Perhaps they just need more time.  I don't know if it
(they) needs more root feeding or anything like that.
In any case, the plant(s) is but a shell of its former
glory.  Bummer.  Is this typical?  Anyone who has gone
through this before me?

Thanks, Cavan