Re: Re: Fish Tank Fantasies

> Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2002 12:40:58 -0400
> From: "Charter" <charter at charter-terminal_com>
> Subject: Re: Fish Tank Fantasies
>
> > Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2002 17:02:51 EDT
> > From: Billinet at aol_com
> > Subject: Re: Fish Tank Fantasies
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > When my kids were little they had a set of transparent plastic pipes
that
> > gerbils and hamsters could crawl through.  How about if these were
run
> > through a well planted tank?
>
> As long as we're being silly, I (a fully grown adult) have a pair of
gerbils
> who reside in a Habitrail maze.  Just the other night I was pondering
what
> it'd take to create a Habitrail fish tank.  I was thinking about a
simple
> network of clear acrylic pipes, about 6 inches in diameter, running
along
> the wall around the room.
>
> Water circulation might be difficult, although if you engineered the
> elevations correctly, you could set it up so that the pump only has to
push
> water from the sump (or base tank) up a short, steep incline.  The
water
> would then flow downhill around the room, and end up in the sump again.

> River fish would obviously be best for this setup; some of the zippier
> species of rainbowfish would be perfect.  Algae removal would be
difficult,
> but not impossible, if you could find a bottle brush with a long enough

> handle.  ;)

Already been done. Article in March 1997 issue of Freshwater and Marine
Aquarium Magazine, page 204. Some saltwater guy.

He got acrylic tubes and glued the ends together to make a clear pipe
that goes along the walls of his apartment. Both ends go into the top of
his 125-gallon reef. Near the middle he attached a tube that goes to his
sump and he has a pump on this, so there's water flow through this
section. No bottle brushes. ;-) He claims to not have any algae problems
whatsoever for some mysterious reason...

William

~ The Equarium ~
http://equarium.tripod.com
Aquarium photos ~ And more!