Re: Fish Tank Fantasies

> Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2002 17:02:51 EDT
> From: Billinet at aol_com
> Subject: Re: Fish Tank Fantasies
>
> Hi,
>
> When my kids were little they had a set of transparent plastic pipes that
> gerbils and hamsters could crawl through.  How about if these were run
> through a well planted tank?

As long as we're being silly, I (a fully grown adult) have a pair of gerbils
who reside in a Habitrail maze.  Just the other night I was pondering what
it'd take to create a Habitrail fish tank.  I was thinking about a simple
network of clear acrylic pipes, about 6 inches in diameter, running along
the wall around the room.

Water circulation might be difficult, although if you engineered the
elevations correctly, you could set it up so that the pump only has to push
water from the sump (or base tank) up a short, steep incline.  The water
would then flow downhill around the room, and end up in the sump again.
River fish would obviously be best for this setup; some of the zippier
species of rainbowfish would be perfect.  Algae removal would be difficult,
but not impossible, if you could find a bottle brush with a long enough
handle.  ;)