Re: Re: Dry/Moated Tank

> Madan Subramanian said:
>
> > One sureshot way of doing this without any of the buoyancy hassles is
> > construct just the 4 vertical walls of the smaller tank that is to be
> > placed
> > inside the larger tank separately, lower it and position it inside
> > the
> > larger tank and glue the vertical sides of the smaller tank to the
> > bottom
> > pane of the larger tank. No trouble with buoyancy then. The vertical
> > walls
> > of the inner ( moated tank ) should be the same thickness of the
> > Larger
> > outer tank. The height can be the same or more.
>

> If some water got under the the little tank walls, instead of pushing
> up the little tank, would push up the air in the little tank.  I.e.,
> doesn't this just shift the problem from one of potentially bouyant
> glass to potential leakiness?

Why not a different approach: glue a new tank in as before, but fill the
_inner_ tank with water, instead of the outside one? That might not be
*quite* as neat looking, but would still offer lots of unique
possibilities, and eliminate some of the structural challenges people
have brought up. Fish inside, land critters/plants outside (probably not
gerbils or hampsters--these don't take humidity well).

Another possibility: why not have the inner tank only, say, half the
height of the outer tank, and only fill the water to that level. Then you
could add ramps up to this rim and keep amphibians that could climb in
and out of the water. But then the rim would be more visible and
unsightly... You could hide it with plants, maybe?

Cool idea, Tom. ;-)

William

~ The Equarium ~
http://equarium.tripod.com
Aquarium photos ~ Free software ~ And more!

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.