Re: diy gfci extension cord

> Date: Sun, 23 Jun 2002 05:02:44 -0700 (PDT)
> From: "S. Hieber" <shieber at yahoo_com>
> Subject: Re: diy gfci extension cord
>
> Gordon L. Mc Lellan described an economical DIY GFCI extension cord.
>
> Just to add to the options, you can buy a Ground Fault Interrupter cord
> for about $15 plus shipping from ThatPetPlace or driect from the maker

Always more options!  I saw several of those online at various places, but
I'm
too impatient for such things.

I admit, a unit made from injection molded plastic, sealed up complete with
rubberized cord and molded strain relief would be the best bet, as their
manufacturing process allows for a much more water resistant design.

Although, commercially made stuff has let me down in the past as well ...  I
had a recent experience with an ACE brand mutli outlet strip going haywire
and burning the connectors off a plug I was inserting, luckily it was just a
lamp
and not an expensive piece of aquaria equipment!

> Remember, if you don't need the portabilityh, then instead of making a
> GFCI extension cord, you can always buy GFCI outlets and use them as
> replacments for the ones in the wall that you aquarium stuff is
> plugging into.  Electrically, neither the GFCI nor anything plug into
> the circuit will know the difference and it takes less skill than

Replacing the wall outlet looks the best too ... My diy approach is a bit
unsightly but will eventually be hidden behind the stand.  Plus, if you
have an older home, adding GFCI will probably serve to increase the
value or at least the appeal slightly.

The main reason I chose external over in-wall was I'm renting an
apartment, and would rather not mess with 'their' wiring.

Gordon