[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

co2 disolver

I'm happy to report the diy dissolver is working real well, although it is a
bit noisy from churning the bubbles.

To make it, I took a piece of clear plastic pipe (sold in 4ft lengths for
$1.33 at home depot), which is used to protect T8 size fluorescent bulbs (I
think the diameter is about 1 1/4")

I cut slots in one end of the tube, fed in an air stone and glued in a
plastic soda cap (fits real well).

On the other end, I melted a hole through another soda cap a little less
than 1/2" in diameter and stuffed a short piece (about 1 1/2") of 1/2" OD
vinyl tubing through.  I then attached a mini fountain pump (Meijer, $11) to
the other end of the tubing, so it's discharge is blowing down into the
tube.  Add a few rubber bands and some suction cups, and stuck it to the
inside of the aquarium.

It greatly increased the efficiency of my DIY co2 system... Before when I
just had an airstone bubbling away at whatever flow rate the reactor was
producing, no noticeable change in PH was detected.  After starting the
dissolver and running for a few hours, it actually put a dent in my PH level
(went from 7.6 down to ~7).  I recently had petco test my water and it was
near the "Very Hard" end of their little quick dip test kit, who knows what
that means in GH or KH.

I haven't noticed any fish gasping for air yet (any more than usual at
least... my mollies love to hover around the surface tasting the air).

The plant that is nearest the device is covered with tiny bulbs, I'm not
sure if they are co2 or o2.

I need to get a needle valve now, to better control the delivery rate, these
air line gang valves don't offer much control.

I also plan to increase efficiency more by stopping the bubbles from
escaping with the water exiting the device.  I will make the main tube
longer, and perhaps add some marbles or polywool to trap them in.