Re: disgusted with persistant algae

> Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2002 19:16:26 EDT
> From: RMoore7167 at aol_com
> Subject: disgusted with persistant algae
>
> I've about had it. 1 year and I still cant get it right. You all have been
> great in supporting me. So let me try this again. Ive tried a few things and
> nothing seems to help.  Im getting algae on the glass (very fine light green
> scum plus a little green spot) I went on vacation for a week and a half and
> now all my plants have a thick dark green mat of algae that rubs off pretty
> easily.  Here are my specs. <snipped>

> Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2002 19:16:26 EDT
> From: RMoore7167 at aol_com
> Subject: disgusted with persistant algae
>
> I've about had it. 1 year and I still cant get it right. You all have been
> great in supporting me. So let me try this again. Ive tried a few things and
> nothing seems to help.  Im getting algae on the glass (very fine light green
> scum plus a little green spot) I went on vacation for a week and a half and
> now all my plants have a thick dark green mat of algae that rubs off pretty
> easily.  <snipped>

I know I'm sticking my hand into the lion's cage by sending this reply, but
it's my Saturday morning and it's either this or start cleaning my
apartment, so here I go.  :)

I know how frustrating this hobby can be.  BELIEVE me, I know.  But I've
stuck with it (more or less) for going on 20 years now, and it's given me so
much joy (on balance) that it grieves me sorely to hear someone about to
throw in the towel.

Algae isn't visually attractive, but aside from these occasional outbreaks,
are your plants healthy?  Are your fish happy?  Focus on the overall pattern
of things.  Overall, is your tank doing well?  If 24/7 visual beauty is your
primary concern, then you might do better with a collection of
carefully-chosen silk plants.  They're quite nice these days.  I know that
sounds harsh, but considering your frustration levels right now, maybe this
is a good time to reassess your priorities with regards to the hobby.

"Planted tank" is only one aspect of tropical fishkeeping - IMHO, it's also
one of the most difficult to master.  I'm not there yet, but I'm trying.
There's a steep learning curve, and just because everyone else here can toss
off answers to the most arcane questions and make it look easy DOES NOT mean
that they didn't spend years getting to that point.  Take heart: it's not
just you.  Everyone here has been (or is) where you are right now.

I'll tell you a secret: everyone gets algae on the walls of their tanks.
Anyone who says otherwise is lying.  They may hide the magnetic scraper when
you come over to exclaim at their beautiful tanks, but trust me, the scraper
is there.  Maybe it's under the couch, or hidden inside the toilet tank.
The algae-free tank is largely an illusion, perpetuated by photographic
technique, colored backgrounds, and carefully-timed cleanings.

I'll tell you another secret: every tank is different.  There is no One True
Rule; the best anyone can offer is the (much-despised) "rule of thumb."
Meaning a guideline, a rough estimate, YMMV, et cetera.  The nutrient
paramaters of your tank may be perfect for my tank, or his tank, or her
tank, but it's obviously too much for YOUR tank, because you're having
trouble with algae blooms.

The more we push our systems - by adding bigger lights, better substrate,
more fertilizer - the more delicate the balance becomes.  It sounds like
you're pushing your tank right to the edge, and sometimes it "tips over" and
the algae takes over.  The trick is to learn how to push your tank to the
edge and NOT tip it over.  It's chaos theory in action, baby.  Just take the
mistakes as feedback and try it again.

Here's one last secret:  No one can teach you how to do this.  There is no
one single Unified Field Theory-style formula you can use.  The only way you
can learn "how much is too much" is to watch your tank, take good notes, and
adjust your procedures accordingly.  This is the grand frustration of the
hobby; it's also the greatest joy.

If I had to boil my success down to an easily-transferrable nugget of
wisdom, it would be this: change the water.  Replacing the water resets the
clock, so to speak.  Algae-friendly nutrients are removed from the system,
and MY EXPERIENCE HAS BEEN (note the emphasis!) that religiously performing
weekly 25-30% water changes keeps algae from gaining a firm foothold.  Algae
is still present (usually in the form of a thin film on the glass) but it
remains at "nuisance level."  Rarely does it blossom to "plague level," and
then only if I get impatient and start fiddling with additives.

I wish you good luck.  Everyone else, begin roaring: now!

 - Erika