newbie questions - trace nutrients and substrates

Hi all

I'm new to this mailing list. I have a couple of questions regarding my
tank that I hope someone can help me with. I'm have been having a little
bit of trouble with algae, nothing too major just some small patches of
blue-green, a little hair algae and some fine woolly type algae which has
gotten matted in with my riccia unfortunately. Also I have noticed that
some of the fast growing plants such as pennywort have a veined appearance
with the veins being darker green and the rest of the leaf being pale. Does
this mean that my system is lacking in a nutrient? If so could you
recommend a good product for trace nutrients and iron?
The tank is a 72 x 24 x 24, its filtered by a single external canister
which is returned a couple of inches below the water line. CO2 is injected
at a rate of one bubble per second and the tank is lit by 3 x 58 watt
straight fluorescents with reflectors. Its fairly well planted but only has
a gravel substrate with no soil/heater cables. Fish load is medium with a
small plec, 3 ottocinclus, 10 or so congo tetra and a  12" moustache
syndontis. Do you think its worth the trouble to strip down the tank and
install a better substrate with heater cables, and if so what sort/depth
would you recommend?
Any advice would be gratefully received

Andrew Squires