Re: Lighting and Lux

On: Thu, 13 Jun 2002 03:58:37 -0700 (PDT)
"S. Hieber" <shieber at yahoo_com> wrote:

> Subject: Re: Lighting and Lux
>
> Watts is something most bulbs have printed right on them.  All the rest
> of the info is hard to come by.  Some of it darn near impossible.  So
> even if we had a formula, who could use it?  I'd like to know what some
> good candidates for formulas are (why assume there will be one best)
> but I treasure useful means for setting up and operating tanks,
> especially ones that don't require expertise -- for myself, I can buy
> lots of watts, but any expertise is borrowed.
>
> Reading by AH Supply aquarium light,
> Scott H.

I can't remember whether I posted to this group or to taopa, but, a few
months ago, I did an analysis of the lighting used by Takashi Amano in the
tanks shown in his 3 vol. series, Nature Aquarium World.  It turns out
that, probably by intuition and experience rather than calculation, the
lighting he uses is nearly proportional to the square root of the volume.
So, that's at least one "formula."  Here's a link to the results:

www.fitchfamily.com/aquarium.html.

At the bottom of the page, there's a further link to "Lighting in the
Aquaria of Takashi Amano."

John T. Fitch
E-mail: JTFitch at FitchFamily_com