Re: (Joe Reiter asked about Seachem's Excel and Flourish)

> Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2002 07:53:32 -0700
> From: "Roger Gordon" <rgordon at tns_net>
> Subject: Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V5 #147
>
> Joe Reiter asked about Seachem's Excel and Flourish--
>
> I use Excel in my East African Rift Tank.  With the high pH, you can't get
> the CO2 concentration high enough to be beneficial to the plants.  So Excel
> is the only alternative.

Perhaps I am missing something here, but pH has no particular effect on
the solubility of CO2 in a normal tank. Right?

We measure KH and assume it is mostly carbonate/bicarbonate, which lets
us use the chart to guess the CO2 concentration by then measuring the pH.

CO2 should readily dissolve in a Rift-Lake tank, but the chart may just
get hard to use with any accuracy at such high KH. That is, the pH shift
for a given ppm of CO2 is much less, hence harder to get accurate.

Won't the plants still use that CO2 just as readily as if the pH was 6.5?

Wright

--
Wright Huntley -- 290 521-0557 -- 731 Loletta Ave, Modesto CA 95351

                     It ain't what you know
                     that gets you in trouble;
                     it's what you know for sure
                     that ain't so. -- Mark Twain