Re: Tank too hot

Tank heat is a chronic problem in CA and many other warmer summer
locations. Many equatorial rainforest fishes live at high enough
altitude that they just will not breed in summer, here. Try getting eggs
from an *Aphyosemion jorgenscheeli* at anything above 78F, for example.
Likewise, Madagascar Lace plants have been out of the question, for me
-- difficult even when I was in much-cooler Fremont.

After contemplating the various alternatives, I would like to try
something has never been discussed here, AFAIK.

Dig a hole 3' deep anywhere in the US, and the ground at the bottom will
be cold! I think near-surface underground temperatures average somewhere
around 55F or so, and it is not very different from FL to ME, once you
are several feet down (and not in a geothermal zone). [Do wine caves
ring a bell?]

My thought is to bury a loose coil of drip-irrigation 1/2" line, deep
enough that water slowly flowing through it would be chilled down into
the 60s. For an operating cost of one powerhead, one could have a source
of cooled tank or reservoir water constantly available. No?

I'd love it if someone can shoot holes in this idea *before* I dig a big
hole in the yard in this Modesto heat. :-) [Predicted to hit 100, today,
but so far only 95F.]

Wright

--
Wright Huntley -- 290 571-0444 -- 731 Loletta Ave, Modesto CA 95351

                          Where they elect folks
                       Like Gary Condit to make your
                          Life choices for you.