Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V5 #139

> Anyone with any special tips they could offer on
> moving fish/tanks/plants?  (moving as in one city to
> another--about 250 miles).
>
> Arthur

> Anyone with any special tips they could offer on
> moving fish/tanks/plants?  (moving as in one city to
> another--about 250 miles).
>
> Arthur

Ha!  Finally, a question I can answer from a position of authority!  :)

I just finished a cross-country move (Seattle to Atlanta) a few weeks ago.
Transported everything in my car - what couldn't fit in the car was left in
Seattle, either in storage, or in the hands of adoptive parents.  Five days,
2,938 miles, 95.09 gallons of gas.

One week before departure, I started feeding the fish 3-4 times a day to
build up their reserves, and bubbled two sponge filters in the main tank to
accumulate bacterial load.

I transported the fish inside a clean 5-gallon plastic bucket which I
purchased at Home Depot for about $3.  I first lined the bucket with a few
sheets of flexible green foam (sold as Plate Savers from U-Haul) for
insulation.  Then I put a black plastic garbage bag into the bucket and
filled it with water - 10% tank water, 90% fresh.  Added the sponge filters,