Subject: Re: Luo Han / Flower Horn

Although I don't like the "Flower Horn Fish" you really have to put it into
perspective. Goldfish are a case in point. Many goldfish are truly monstrous
when compared to the original wild fish yet most people accept them even love
them. Direct genetic manipulation will no doubt bring many more odd looking
fish at a greater rate that inbreeding does now. It also has the potential to
give us many really great animals for our set ups that don't affect the
natural world like collecting does and might even bring us things like
miniature fish from species that are now far too big to keep in most aquaria.
How about a 6" sturgeon or paddlefish? Or maybe a 6" real pelagic shark, tiny
sting rays or very small bass or other game fish. The potential goes far
beyond color and twisted forms. We just have to decide what we want by
exercising our ultimate veto, our money. If people don't buy certain fish
they will disappear from the market or if the first ones end up as a
financial bust then other similar fish will not follow. Nearly all the
animals we keep around us have been changed drastically by genetic
manipulation, we call it breeding for desirable traits but it is no more
natural than direct genetic manipulation and the results are the same. The
reptile pet industry has benefited greatly by breeding reptiles that don't
exist in the wild, not only has the pressure been taken off many wild
populations but we get very fancy animals whose looks and behavior suit
captivity much better than wild caught animals. Ultimately we decide the
forms our pets will take.

Moon