Re: Profile

Wayne Jones is having trouble with a Profile substrate.

Weird mystery, Wayne.  I once acid washed some coarse sand to rid it of
shell bits and had an experience similar to what you're describing --
despite heavy and multiple rinsing, the sand leached the acid which then
ate up the buffer and crashed the pH.  Also, carbon is activated (made
porous) by acid washing.  Perhaps Profile is handled in the same way to
increase it's absorptive characteristic.  Have you tried purchasing a new
bag of Profile and soaking some in a bucket to see if you get the same
behavior?  Maybe you just have a screwy batch of Profile in your tank.

The only other thing I can think of that might cause a similar effect is
excess nitrification.  I've not experienced it personally, but I've read
that this phenomenon can cause a tank to go acid.
--
Chuck Huffine
Knoxville, Tennessee