Re: 50% too much

Tony S. wrote:

>50 % weekly water changes are far too much, especially with a planted tank
>You are asking for a nice bacterial bloom which will take weeks to clear.
>10 % weekly/or 25 % monthly is more realistic.
>This apart from the bother of having to readjust your traces at such
>frequent intervals.

Well, Tony, it's all about finding what works best for you and your
aquaria.  All tanks and waters are not created equal and there are many
paths to success.

I prefer and have the best results doing 50%+ changes once a week,
regardless of whether it's a planted tank or otherwise.  I've *never* had a
bacterial bloom as a result.  If I were to see such a bloom, particularly
in an established tank, I'd think something was funky with the change water
or the tank itself.  I don't mean to imply that this is the case for you or
anyone else, but it would be the case in my situation.  As for maintaining
nutrients in planted tanks, I find that "resetting" the nutrients once a
week provides a more stable and algae free environment and I have to test less.

There is one exception.  IMO, the only time less is more in regard to water
changes is in the case of the low light, Walstad inspired tank.  Only on
these types of setups would I limit change volume and frequency.
--
Chuck Huffine
Knoxville, Tennessee