Re:Beginner's lessons - Misguided Thinking

At 03:48 PM 5/24/02 -0400, Tom Wood asked:
>So, are you still insisting that "the real way a needle valve works" is only
>when the gas running through it reaches the speed of sound?

Let's be clear here.  You can use a needle valve in your setup and reach
end of cylinder and run right thru all the gas and kill all your fish if
the valve is not running sonic or even close.  A valve (without further
specification) doesn't prevent anything.  If the valve is running sonic,
the severity of a dump is reduced.  For the reasons cited previously by
several other posters.   So if the needle valve is to WORK (reduce a dump)
it must be running sonic (or on the verge of sonic).  And that does mean
that in the most constricted part the speed of sound is reached.  If you
have any further questions about this talk to Parker Hannefin.  I hope I
have made this simple enough for you.

--
Dave Gomberg, San Francisco   NE5EE     gomberg at wcf dot com
http://www.wcf.com/co2iron for low cost CO2 systems that work!

multipart/mixed
---