Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V5 #109

In a message dated 5/22/02 3:58:32 PM Eastern Daylight Time,

<< Date: Wed, 22 May 2002 10:52:55 EDT
 From: Dgrim62 at cs_com
 Subject: Re: Better than Amano Shrimp

 I went to the URL given by Edward. It states that the shrimp ae best suited
 to brakish water, but may be able to adapt to completely freshwater
 environments.

 Personally, I don't know if I'm comfortable putting a critter in my tanks
 that has pincers resembling small hedge trimmers. Seems risky to the plants.
 Crabs are also opportunistic feeders, and will grab any small fish they can,
 particularly at night, although I don't remember their ultimate size.

 Would be interesting to try them, but in a small, controlled situation.

 Anyways, the website states they may be threatened, so I'd think the chances
 of getting any of these guys is slim to none.
 Dave

What type of crab/shrimp are you talking about? I use dwarf crayfish to eat
algae and left over food. They work great and are long lived. I'm not sure
how they compare to amano shrimp but they do graze on the algae that grows on
the glass and thread algae. I still use as many different algae eaters as
possible hoping that by touching as many bases as possible I can control
algae better. So far this method works well for me.

Moon