Re: NO3 testing

Jeff Vamos  writes <<Just used the test solution with my lamotte kit. I was
amazed how acurate the kit is. I have a question though- my plants do a lot
better when the range is between the 4-6 on the lamotte which would be
17-26 no3. Can this be because of a low fish load? would low NH4 make you
need a higher range of n03 than the recomended 5-10? >>

Our target of about 5-15 ppm nitrate is a compromise. For the fish,
ideally, we'd like it zero, even though nitrate is well-tollerated at lower
levels and not as toxic as nitrite or ammonia. Most plant species would
like it higher -- perhaps around 25-50 ppm (?)  I think you just need to
experiment in this range and see what works best. With our discus I have to
do water changes 2x/week to keep the nitrates at 25 ppm -- the plants love it.

Jared

Jared Weinberger
http://www.brainyday.com/jared