Ideal pet store

As to what i want in a fish store... same thing i want in all retail
stores: low prices, good selection and competent staff. LFS face lots
of challenges, warehouse stores, internet competition etc., etc. but
there biggest challenge is their own shortsightedness... I have the
worst LFS so i've often thought of what I want...

In addition to what has been said on this topic so far, there are
some easy things that a LFS can do to build a relationship with it's
customers. Be responsive. If someone wants something, special order
it. I can't even get my LFS to get some SAE, after a year and a half
of waiting, I ordered them online.  A simple idea, breed and sell
Daphnia or other live foods. Repeat business, I imagine, would be
vital to a LFS. If every friday you sell live foods, you get traffic
in your store and people always find something else they "need".  I
wish my LFS would sponsor a local aquarium society. All they have to
do is organize it and provide space. It would be a captive audience
that they could sell to. A special oreder for 20 customers is better
than a special order for one.

Remember those commercials that said "An educated consumer is our
best customer?" I wish my LFS would develop that mentality. I just
set up my first high tech plant. I've probably have spent $400+ on
lights, CO2, plants, fish, a filter, fertilizers, etc., etc. How much
did my LFS get from that? 3.99 for one amazon sword, the rest of it I
spent online...

So, what do I want from a LFS? A relationship. If they treat me
right, earn my loyalty, I won't mind paying a little more...

And as an aside... I use to work at an animal shelter so I don't shop
at pet stores that also sell dogs and cats...

Sent by Law  Mail