Fluval 303

I just got a Fluval 303. The lowest stack has ceramic biomedia in it. The
top one will have two layers of sponge. Anyone out there with a planted tank
have suggestions for what I should put in the center tray? My tank is
29-gallons, mostly planted with a few fish. I'm trying to get the tank back
in shape but, would like to have the Fluval set-up right and ready to go.
I've heard that I can layer multiple things in the Fluval canister. Maybe
some aquarium gravel, peat (my water tends to be too alkaline) some sand and
more aquarium gravel? I don't know, what are others thinking I should use?