Another KNO3 Source

Gang,

     After a frustrating couple of hours searching for Green Light Stump
Remover in local hardware stores the other night I finally gave up and ordered
some KNO3 at a premium price from eBay.  Actually, the price wasn't so premium,
but the shipping makes it expensive.

     In the course of my travels I noticed that Lowes carried Spectracide brand
stump remover.  As they are a large national brand I figured I would call their
800 number and ask if their stump remover was pure KNO3.  Unfortunately, the
customer service person wasn't able to do much more than read me the bottle.  I
asked if he could do a little more research and he said that he could not and
that they would not tell me what is in the bottle.  Sigh...

     Being that one of the options when I called Spectracide's 800 number was
to request an MSDS, I called back and selected that option.  I left the various
bits of information requested and, lo and behold, an MSDS showed up on my fax
machine this morning.

     The MSDS for Spectracide(R) Stump Remover states that it is 100% Potassium
Nitrate.  It also states that its boiling point is 633 degrees F and its bulk
density is 78 pounds per cubic foot and its solubility in water is 31g in 100g
of water.

     So, unless they change the product without changing the MSDS, Spectracide
Stump Remover is also pure KNO3.  I'm going to pick up a bottle tomorrow and
will report my findings with regards to piscine health at a later date.

Regards,

Steve Cohen