Hardness, Crypts, and Vals

Can anyone help?

Many plants are growing well in tanks around the house, but the Crypts and
Vals are not doing well in any tanks. The crypts grow 3-5 smallish leaves,
then melt (two kinds of nympaea lotus do this same thing); the vals just
sort of hang on.I tested my water this morning and it has a KH of 5 (it's 3
out of the tap; I add baking soda) and a GH of 3.5 (2 out of the tap; I add
Flourish Equilibrium). And I am wondering if I am missing some crucial
something since much of the KH & GH comes from additives?

-Rachel