Re: Aroids

>>  Cryptocoryne and Anubias are without a doubt my favorite genera of the
>>  plants I've kept so far.  So, I'm wondering what other Aroids I might
>>  like.  Are there other members of the Araceae family that are suitable for
>>  aquaria?  Thanks.
>>  - --
>>  Chuck Huffine
>>  Knoxville, Tennessee
>Chuck,Pistia Stratiotes is an aroid...oddly enough. So are Lemna species and
>Wolffia species. Want some Lemna minor =)
>Zach & Chuck
>There are a couple of Aroids here in NT Australia that live
>underwater in an aquarium and they are Rhaphodophora sp and Typhonium
>sp.   Rhaphodophora is very similar to Anubias when small but turns
>into a climber that ascends up into rainforest trees.   Typhonium
>superficially resembles some crypts but has a bulb instead of a
>rhizome.  Some of the other local plants in the aroid family that
>live in swamps but don't do well submerged are members of the genus
>Colocasia, Tacca and Amorphophallus.   They are the common plants
>here, there are others.
>
>Cheers
>Dave Wilson

hi dave,

thanks for the info on Raphidophora.  some species are known as climbers but i didn't know there are some that are aquatic.  now how can you export them to us? :-)

a small correction, Tacca is not an aroid but in its own family, Taccaceae.

in addition to Lemna, Pistia, Anubias and Cryptocorynes, there is also the genus Lagenandra, somewhat similar to Crypts.  they are not common but apparently found in the hobby.  do a search on google for more info.

now, if one could only grow Jasarum steyermarkii, an amazing aquatic aroid from venezuela, related to Caladium that puts out long ribbons of leaves in the stream...

--
tsuh yang in nyc