RE: Aquatic Plants Digest V5 #78

Kinney
   I work at a LFs around here and what they are telling you is very common
for a new tank.  Exactly like you said you are waiting for the bacteria to
build up in the gravel and on the filter sponge and also on everything in
your tank as well.  The little bacteria live all over in the tank and need a
normal(no water changes or diatoming)environment for a few weeks to get to a
level where they can take care of the fish.  Having the live plants in there
will help make it easier onthe fish cause the plants will take up some of
the toxic things in the water and also clean the water for the fish.
  I know it all sounds like a lot of BS but it works, and if there are
saying it in Illinois where I am and where ever you are than maybe there is
some truth behind it.  Drop me a line if you have any more new tank
questions and I will try to help answer them.

Matt W.