Right or wrong?.......

I went to my local LFS to rent a diatom filter because my tank is greening
up fast. I also brought in some water from the tank for them to test. I have
had the tank running for 4-months now. We started with Goldfish, switched
over to small fish (neon's zebra striped danios etc) and plants (goldfish
were ripping them up so I gave the fish away). LFS told me I didn't allow my
tank to cycle through. I had been doing weekly water changes, but they said
I needed to leave the tank without touching it for 6-8wks for the ammonia to
spike and the nitrate to spike then the bacteria will have had time to form
and the level with drop and the cycling will be complete. I didn't realize
that making water changes would eliminate all formation of biological
build-up. I did move the tank once right before giving away the goldfish and
drained about 95% of the water out, moved the tank and then filled it up
with new well water. I have (2) 40w compact fluorescents. Plants were doing
great before the algae bloom, lots of pearling etc.

SO, they are telling me not to touch the tank for 2-1/2 wks. No water
changes, no diatom filtering. Keep feeding the fish, use lights for only
4-hrs a day, don't clean trickle filter pads etc. Bring in new water sample
in 2-1/2 weeks for them to retest, then they will tell me what to do.

What do ya-all think? If you think this might be the right approach then
I'll do it. I just don't want all my fish and plants to die in the next
2-1/2wks. I think she is basically telling me I need to allow for bacteria
to grow in the substrate.

Thanks